Friday, September 18, 2015

Shakshuka

The livestock, the garden, and knitting have kept me busier than usual this summer.

The garden seems to feature winners and not-winners each year, with no two years seemingly the same.

I always get a lot of tomatoes, but for quite a few years I've had a black fungal growth on the base of most of the beefsteak tomatoes. And many of them have been gnarly and misformed. Not this year. I'm drowning in excellent results!

There are only so many tomato sandwiches one can eat. (I don't know what the number is - I haven't hit it yet!) Gazpacho is a lunch time favourite too. And DW cans up a lot of stewed tomatoes and salsa for the winter.

But I found a new recipe to try on Pinterest the other day and tried it out for supper last night. It was wonderful! Its a Jewish recipe called Shakshuka - an 'all in one pan' dish; in this case, my cast iron skillet.

This is my hearty serving for one hungry farmer version.

Start with a little olive oil on medium heat and put in a chopped white onion. When softened up, add a chopped garlic.


After several minutes, add a chopped green pepper (also from the garden).


After about 5 minutes more, add three good sized tomatoes, coarsely chopped.



When this has worked itself into a stew, about another 5 minutes, add a little cumin, paprika, cayenne and sugar - I used about 1/4 tsp of each, and a bit of salt and pepper.



When all that is reduced by half (ish) crack in a couple of eggs fresh from the chicken coop.


Turn heat down, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes - for firm eggs - more or less according to how you want the eggs done.


Then - into my favourite pottery man sized bowl, sprinkled with a little Parmesan and parsley and chow down with a side of warm naan bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment