Thursday, January 14, 2016

My Almond Butter

Here's my first kick at making almond butter.

(Mmmmm. Almond butter.)

2 cups whole almonds


weight of almonds


warm in oven at  325


for 12 - 15 minutes


when cooled put in hopper


place dish to catch butter


crank, and crank, and crank


about 15 minutes


weight of butter


residual in mill


residual cleaned out


residual saved or mixed in butter

done!
My net loss from beginning weight was 20 grams (the part of residual I didn't manage to scrape out of the mill).

I had a TBSP of my new almond butter in my morning oatmeal along with my usual spoon of Muscavado (unrefined) brown sugar.

I bought my almonds at bulk barn for CAN$14.99/lb.  My (meagre) saving for making my own was about 55 cents over what I pay for my favourite brand at the grocery store, including the cost of my waste.

I like the taste of this batch of almonds. Now what I look forward to is trying different varieties of almonds from different countries.

All on my quest for the perfect taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment