Fishin' wires that is.
In January an electrician replaced the old fuse panel in the house with a new circuit breaker panel. A vast improvement I'm sure, and no small wonder that the house hadn't burnt down years ago!
But one advantage of the old fuse panel was that you could increase the size of fuse, of even jam a penny in the fuse socket in order to add heavier use appliances without constantly blowing fuses. (Small wonder....)
With the first heat wave of 2009 on the way, SIL helped me put the window a/c units in place yesterday. As fate would have it, the electrical outlets near the windows in question are all on the same circuit, and since I can't use pennies to load up the circuit anymore, I decided to add a new circuit, in lieu of knitting today, so I could at least get the largest a/c unit onto its own line.
First off, I cut a hole for the electrical box in the wall near the window frame (the pale rosy white trim on the left side of photo).
I've never poked into this particular wall before and wasn't sure what I'd find. The drywall is newer, and behind it was a plastic vapour barrier, the original lath and plaster, and then the original triple brick exterior wall.
This is directly below, in the cellar. The foundation is a lot wider than the walls above, but I can access the space between the floor joists. You can see the coat hanger that I pushed down through the crack between the floor boards and brick wall.
And here I've fished the new 12/2 wire up from the cellar, which I will hook to the new outlet, and to a 20 amp breaker at the panel in the cellar.
And yes, that is a shop vac ...I try to clean as I mess!
And finally, as the thermometer hits 27 in the house, I plug into the new circuit and prepare to get cool!
Only a little paint touch up to do, and no worry about circuit breakers popping.