Most of the tubs are packed and ready for loading. Only about three tubs more to go. The tables and backdrop are already loaded in the truck, and I'll load the tubs in when I'm done blogging for the day.
I have a double booth (20 x 10') at this show, hence the heavy load. The truck will be full!
It's only 15 minutes drive to Meaford, and I used to do multi-trips to haul stuff in. But with the number of venues I do now I've developed a protocol that if it won't fit in one load its not going.
I've mentioned P a number of times and some are wondering, who is this P.
P is a handspinner, knitter, dyer, recent sock machine owner, and all around crafts person who lives a few hours away from me in Southern Ontario. I first met P as a customer who came to buy fleece from my sheep. For the past few years she has also done custom spinning and knitting for me. She has an intuitive sense of colour and knits many fabulous hats, mitts, scarves and such for me, combining her own pattern designs with my farm dyed yarn.
Currently, P is knitting me some hats and mitts out of this:
This is a 70% Alpaca 30 % wool blend that the mill has done up for me. (Click for larger.)It is mule spun worsted weight, 2 ply, ~ 210 m/ 112 g. All the colours are natural except the black, in which the wool portion was dyed.
And speaking of Dye
The batch I was painting yesterday sort of turned out. I wasn't satisfied with the result - parts were a little too pale. Not white, but so pale as to indicate the dye didn't take up entirely.
I probably could have left it there and knit socks with it, but I decided to give it a pass through the dye pot with a weak avocado dye. I chose avocado as it was the lightest colour of the 7 I used to paint.
The light areas took the avocado fine, but the second bath also greened up the other colours more than I hoped. Here's a picture of one still-wet-skein. (Click for larger.)
I think the reason for the light dye catch in the original work was either spinning to much pre-soak out of the yarn (pitfall noted yesterday) and/or too much twisting of the skeins in the soak may have restricted the mordant from working itself evenly through the fibre - tie dye effect.
Other than the pale spots, I preferred how the colours came out in the original batch, vs the greened up remediation. So I'll give it another kick next week!
And back at the farm
The fall colours are settling in. They are a little late this year, likely because of too much warm weather. I took this shot heading down the lane this morning to check on the flock. Can you see Waldo.... I mean, Jesse, in the shadows?
The coyotes have really been howling at night, so Jesse and I are checking the flock more frequently. The lambs are confined to the barnyard for their safety and the ewes USUALLY can withstand a little pressure from the coyotes. My ewes are big compared to most sheep and a coyote would have to have help from his friends to take one down.
Coyotes typically hunt alone and therefore don't pose a threat to a large ewe who is healthy and quick on her feet. But, in the fall, the coyote parents are teaching the young of the year how to hunt, and so they are in familial packs. This can, of course, stir things up!
Those of you that are going to FibreFest North - have a great time and be thankful that I am busy at the craft show. Otherwise, you'd be spending ALL your time teaching me how to knit!
Have a nice fall weekend, and I'll blog you again on Monday...