Yesterday I made an 'oops' when I described Apple Laine as 100% wool. It is actually, 50% superwash merino, 20 % silk, 20% kid mohair and 10% nylon. I mean, how much different could you possibly get from 100% wool!
Another oops - at the dye pot
Everything doesn't always go according to plan at the dye pot.
I use washfast acid dyes from Prochem in Boston. When doing a batch of skeins I:
- soak the yarn in hot water with a little synthrapol, until the hot water becomes tepid;
- measure and mix my dye powder with boiling water;
- make my dye bath in the pot with tepid water, the dye mix, and citric acid (to set the dye) and glauber salt (to level the dye).
A while back, I forgot the salt and I was in a hurry so the soak water hadn't cooled and the dye bath got too hot too fast. The result was a nice (to me) variegation in the yarn. I was so pleased I tried, successfully, to replicate my oops.
Here is an example of some lopi style yarn I did this week using the colour Chestnut.
I don't have a knit sample of the lopi style, but here is a simple toque knit in some worsted weight I dyed the same way another time.
What I like about this variegation is that it is more random than hand painted skeins - so something different.
Sometimes, repeating your mistakes can be a good thing! (Don't expect to hear Martha say this any time soon.)
But not every time - I tried the same oops-process with Chocolate Brown this week, instead of Chestnut and the result was more of a dog's breakfast - black, dirty brown and bright orange! Maybe something for Halloween. I had some sock yarn in that batch, so I'll whip up a sock and see if its worth keeping. If not I will relegate it to the pile of Mistakes to Be Dyed Black.
My Oops method works well, and replicates nicely with Chestnut, Brick, and Evergreen, so far: